Don’t Let Depression Dictate Your Life!
Are you living a life that you are not taking interest in anymore? If you are coaxing yourself out of bed and pushing yourself into your daily routine forcefully, you may need to consult a doctor who can help you. Whether you are aware or not, if you put a plastic smile on your face when deep down you are not happy or struggling with something, you could be a victim of depression that needs some medical intervention.
What is Depression?
Depression is a serious mental illness that involves a constant feeling of sadness and lack of interest in anything. It affects the way you feel, think and act. It is different from the mood swings that people generally experience now and then as a part of life. Depression is a persistent problem wherein the symptoms last for a minimum of two weeks. When unidentified or left untreated; depression can continue for weeks, months or years affecting the quality of life considerably and making you miserable. According to the World Health Organization, more than 200 million people suffer from depression worldwide and it is one of the leading causes of disability globally. But, luckily, depression is treatable and homeopathy clinics offer excellent individualized remedies for people with depression.
Types of Depression:
- Major Depression: Called major depressive disorder, this type is characterized by the feeling of being depressed most of the time on most days of the week.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder: Depression that lasts for more than 2 years is called persistent depressive disorder.
- Unipolar and Bipolar Depression: When a depressed mood is a predominant feature, it is unipolar depression, whereas, when maniac and depressive episodes are separated by periods of normal mood, it is bipolar disorder or manic depression.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder: This occurs usually in the winter season when the days are short and sunlight received is less and one is affected by major depression.
- Psychotic Depression: This type of depression shows certain psychotic symptoms along with the symptoms of major depression. People with this type of depression have hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia.
- Peripartum Depression: Also called postpartum depression, this affects women having major depression after giving birth to a child.
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: Some women go through this type of depression at the start of their period.
Symptoms of Depression:
Depression is a mood disorder and it can be identified with these common symptoms –
|a persistent feeling of sadness||loss of interest in activities that were pleasurable once|
|change in appetite||gaining or losing weight|
|difficulty in sleeping or sleeping excessively||purposeless activities like hand-wringing|
|a slow-down in the pace of movement and speech||a feeling of worthlessness|
|a feeling of guilt||difficulty in thinking properly, focusing on issues and making decisions|
|social alienation||dwelling on negative thoughts|
|becoming abusive or controlling in relationships||suicidal tendency|
People of all ages can be affected by depression and when children are affected by it, they may show symptoms like –
- irritability, anger, crying
- a feeling that nothing can be done right by them
- avoiding siblings and friends
- difficulty in concentrating and change in grades
- difficulty in sleeping or sleeping too much
- lack of energy, changes in appetite and weight, and digestive problems
Causes of Depression:
Various factors ranging from biological to circumstantial can cause depression and trigger symptoms. Some of the key factors that play a role in being affected by depression include –
- Genetic features – If you have a family history of depression, you are at a higher risk of developing depression.
- Childhood trauma – Some events that occurred in childhood can influence the way your body reacts to stressful situations.
- Brain structure – Differences in brain chemistry can also cause depression in some.
- Past head injury – Head injury in the past too can trigger depression symptoms.
- Health conditions – Certain chronic health conditions may also trigger depression.
- Life events – Some life events like the death of a loved one, divorce, financial problems, etc. can lead to depression.
- Drug abuse – Alcohol abuse, abuse of prescription drugs and other drugs are also linked to depression.
- Environmental factors – Being subjected to continuous negligence or violence and poverty are some environmental factors that contribute to the development of depression in some.
If you consult the best homeopathy doctors in Hyderabad, they will analyze the cause of your depression and provide safe and effective so that you can lead a normal healthy life without further complications.
Complications of Depression:
Like any other health condition, depression too can lead to certain complications if left unattended and make your life much worse. Here are some of the complications that can arise due to depression –
- weight gain or weight loss
- physical pain
- drug abuse problem
- panic attacks
- problems in personal and work relationships
- social isolation
- suicidal thoughts and attempting suicide
Tips to Fight Depression:
Thankfully, depression is a treatable condition and with due medical assistance, people can fight depression effectively. However, certain self-help tips that can bring about a vast difference in the condition of a person with depression.
- Exercising – Regular exercise can increase the production of hormones that elevate your mood and get you out of depression.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs – Substance abuse can worsen anxiety and other depression symptoms. Avoiding these will help in fighting depression effectively.
- Say ‘No’ – Learning to say ‘no’ will help in avoiding feeling overwhelmed with tasks and reducing anxiety and thereby depression.
- Self-care – You should take good care of yourself by eating a healthy diet, getting enough rest, getting sufficient sleep, avoiding negative environment and people, and participating in activities that give you pleasure.
Depression and Homeo:
Depression, being a mental illness, needs healing from deep within rather than treating the mere external symptoms. This kind of treatment is efficiently provided by Delphis Homeopathy clinic that provides personalized treatment and prescribes medicines based on the unique personal experiences of the patient. Homeopathy doctors treat the person as a whole and prescribe medicines based on the patient’s various physical and psychological aspects instead of treating a single symptom or disease label.