We often experience different kinds of skin rashes or allergies that not only make our lives uncomfortable but also change our appearance and affect our confidence levels. One such common yet disgusting skin condition is ‘hives’ that affects nearly 15% of the population at least once in a lifetime. Instead of applying creams and taking the over-the-counter medicines that suppress the condition temporarily, you should go for holistic treatment provided by Delphis, one of the best homeopathy clinics in Hyderabad, which offers long-term relief with its no-side-effects medicines.
What is Hives?
Urticaria, more commonly known as hives, is a non-contagious skin condition characterized by red, raised and itchy skin rash. It is also referred to as wheals, welts, and nettle rash. The condition may appear usually as a result of allergic reactions and it is generally a self-limiting condition. It may last for a short period of duration however; it can become a chronic condition with recurrent episodes that last for a period of more than six weeks.
Symptoms of Hives:
Hives are mainly characterized by red, itchy welts and these can differ in size appearing anywhere on the body. The most visible symptoms of urticaria are –
- a sudden appearance of swollen, pale, red bumps or plaques
- a feeling of burn or sting
The welts appear usually in oval or round shape and range from milli meter to several inches in size. Normally, the welts disappear in a day, but new ones may appear. In the case of chronic hives, symptoms may recur and stay for months or years.
Causes of Hives:
Urticaria or hives is caused when high levels of histamine and other chemical messengers are released in the skin resulting in the blood vessels in the affected area to get inflamed and accumulation of fluid beneath the skin. There are many triggering factors that cause urticaria –
- Medications – certain medications like antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Foods – nuts, shellfish, additives, strawberries, eggs, and wheat products
- Infections – bacterial infections, common cold, flu, hepatitis B, urinary tract infections, strep throat, etc.
- Intestinal parasites
- Temperature – high body temperature, extreme temperatures and changes in temperature
- Allergens – dust mites, pet dander, cockroaches and their waste, latex, pollen, some plants, some chemicals, etc.
- Insect bite and stings
- Exposure to the Sun
- Water on the skin
- Pressure on the skin
- Some chronic health conditions like thyroid disorders
- Blood transfusion
Complications of Hives:
People with chronic hives can develop some complications which include –
- Emotional distress – Living with persistent itching can severely affect a person’s mood and life quality leading to psychological and emotional issues like stress, anxiety or depression. Per the research, chronic urticaria can create as much negative impact as heart disease.
- Angioedema – Many people affected by urticaria can also develop angioedema, a severe skin condition caused by the build-up of fluid.
- Anaphylaxis – Urticaria may be one of the initial symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, Anaphylaxis, which should be treated as a medical emergency.
Tips to Manage Hives:
You can get some relief from the itching and burning sensation of hives by –
- applying cool compresses/wet cloth
- staying in a cool room
- wearing clothes that are loose and lightweight
Urticaria and Homeopathy:
Homeopathy clinics offer excellent and permanent solutions to get rid of hives with zero side effects. Various remedies like Apis mellifica, Arsenicum album, Belladonna, Rhus toxicodendron , and Urtica urens can be administered depending on the characteristic symptoms of the affected person. Homeo clinics offer the best treatment for Hives by taking into consideration all the physical, emotional and psychological aspects of the affected person to provide complete and holistic care.