Did you know that genes hold DNA, the instructions for making protein, and help in the structure and maintenance work in cells of the body? Genes are passed from parent to child and they form the basis of heredity. When there is a change (mutation) in a gene or genes of a person, it leads to changes in the instructions for producing a protein and it results in missing the protein or improper functioning of the protein. Such gene mutation can cause a range of genetic disorders including neurofibromatosis.
What is Neurofibromatosis?
Neurofibromatosis is a genetic disorder related to the nervous system which affects the formation and growth of nerve cells causing tumors on the nerve tissues. These tumors can develop in any part of the nervous system which includes the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. This condition is normally diagnosed in childhood or early adulthood and although it can’t be cured completely, with the best treatment for neurofibromatosis offered by the Homeo clinics it can be managed excellently.
Types and Symptoms of Neurofibromatosis:
Most of the neurofibromatosis tumors are non-cancerous with mild symptoms but can lead to various complications like hearing loss, learning difficulties, heart problems, etc. Some tumors can become cancerous too. To avoid such complications, it is required to understand the types and symptoms of neurofibromatosis and consult the best homeopathy doctor in Hyderabad. Different types of neurofibromatosis come with different signs and symptoms –
- Neurofibromatosis 1 (NF 1): This type of neurofibromatosis is generally seen in childhood with often noticeable symptoms at or shortly after birth. Most of the cases are diagnosed by the age of ten years. This condition is also known as von Recklinghausen NF or Peripheral NF. This causes changes in the skin and deformation of bones.
- Flat spots on the skin: This condition is mainly characterized by flat, light brown spots called café au lait spots on the skin that are harmless. If a person has more than six such spots on the skin, it is considered to be a strong indication of having NF 1. These spots are seen at birth or during the first years of life and generally tend to stop appearing after early childhood.
- Freckles: These are spots smaller than the ‘café au lait spots’ occurring in clusters in skin folds and appear between the ages of three to five years.
- Bumps in the eye: In some cases, tiny bumps on the iris of the eye are seen that are harmless and don’t affect the vision.
- Bumps on or under the skin: Benign, soft, pea-sized tumors develop on or under the skin. When the growth of tumors involves multiple nerves, it is called plexiform neurofibroma and when these develop on the face, it can cause disfigurement.
- Bone deformities: These can happen when there is abnormal bone growth or a deficiency in bone mineral density.
- Tumor on the optic nerve: These types of tumors generally appear by the age of three years.
- Impaired learning: Learning disabilities that are usually mild are seen in the children with NF 1.
- Bigger head size: Those who develop NF 1 may have a head size that is larger than the average size because of the increased brain volume.
- Short in height: People with NF 1 tend to be below average in height.
- Neurofibromatosis 2 (NF 2): This type of neurofibromatosis is not as common as NF 1 and is also called bilateral acoustic NF (BAN). It is characterized by non-cancerous, slow-growing tumors in the ears leading to hearing loss. These tumors are also called vestibular schwannomas and grow on the nerve that carries information related to sound balance from the inner ear to the brain. These can grow on other nerves like cranial, optic and peripheral nerves.
- Slow hearing loss
- Ringing in the ears
- Balance difficulties
- Numbness and weakness in limbs
- Facial drop
- Vision problems
Schwannomatosis: This type of neurofibromatosis is rare and affects people after the age of twenty years causing intense pain.
- Chronic pain that can be disabling
- Numbness or weakness
- Loss of muscle
Causes of Neurofibromatosis:
A person can develop neurofibromatosis due to –
- Genetic defects passed on by a parent
- Genetic defects developed at conception
Let us see the genes that cause the different types of neurofibromatosis –
- NF 1 is caused by the mutation of the gene on chromosome 17 that causes loss of protein – neurofibromin, leading to the uncontrolled growth of cells.
- NF 2 is caused by the mutation of the gene on chromosome 22 that causes loss of protein – merlin, leading to the uncontrolled growth of cells.
- Schwannomatosis: This type of neurofibromatosis is caused by a mutation of the genes SMARCB1 and LZTR1.
Having a parent with the condition is the biggest risk factor for developing the condition as it is found that nearly half of the people affected by neurofibromatosis (NF 1 and NF 2) have inherited the disorder from an affected parent. Although the pattern of inheriting schwannomatosis is unclear, there is a certain amount of risk involved when a parent has the condition.
Complications of neurofibromatosis usually arise due to tumor growth that distorts nerve tissue or puts pressure on the internal organs. These complications can be successfully averted with effective remedies provided by the Homeopathy clinics that improve vitality. Some of the common complications faced by people with neurofibromatosis include –
- Neurofibromatosis 1:
- Learning and thinking difficulties
- Cosmetic concerns due to café au lait spots
- Anxiety and emotional distress
- Bone deformity
- Vision problems
- High blood pressure
- Blood vessel abnormalities
- Breathing problems
- Neurofibromatosis 2:
- Hearing loss (partial or total)
- Facial nerve damage
- Vision problems
- Extreme weakness or numbness
- Multiple brain or spinal tumors
- Debilitating pain
Neurofibromatosis and Homeopathy: Conventionally, there is no cure for neurofibromatosis. But, with natural homeopathic medicines, the growth of tumors and their size can be restricted. Also, Homeo remedies can help prevent the recurrence of tumors when surgery is opted as a treatment method. By consulting the top homeopathy clinic in the beginning stage the condition can be managed effectively. Homeopathy, the holistic medicine system, takes care of a person in totality of the various physical, psychological and emotional aspects, thereby addressing the other health issues like emotional distress and anxiety as well simultaneously.